The reading list below includes some of my favorite books that have shaped me and my thinking. Also included are some books that I’m currently reading. Current Reading – The books below are some that I am currently reading and working through.
Recent Reading for Sermon Series–Currently, I’m preaching through the book of Jonah and in February, I preached a series on the Gospel and Biblical sexuality. Below are some resources I found helpful for both series.
- The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Butterfield
- Is God anti-gay? by Sam Allberry
- God on Sex by Danny Aiken
- Sex is Not the Problem, Lust Is by Joshua Harris
- God and the Transgender Debate by Andrew Walker
- The Prodigal Prophet by Tim Keller
- The Ultimate Commentary on Jonah by various authors (Albert Barnes, John Calvin, Charles Spurgeon, Matthew Henry)
Recommended Reading Theology – Every Christian does theology (some well, some not so well). I believe it is an important aspect of Christian living and understanding. The texts below have been instrumental in my theological development and spiritual growth.
- The Cross of Christ by John Stott
- Basic Christianity by John Stott
- According to Plan by Graeme Goldsworthy
- The Cruciality of the Cross by P.T. Forsyth
- Knowing God by J. I. Packer
Biography – One of the most inspiring Christian growth tools comes from reading biographies of great followers of Christ. The ones listed below have inspired me greatly.
- Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
- Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret by Howard and Geraldine Taylor
- Godly Ambition: John Stott and the Evangelical Movement by Alister Chapman
- Prophet with Honour: the Billy Graham Story by William C. Martin
- A Passion for Souls: The Life of D. L. Moody by Lyle W. Dorsett
Missions/Evangelism – The books below clarify God’s global disciple-making mission for the church by evangelizing, connecting new believers to local churches, and teaching them to follow Christ.
- Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J. I. Packer
- What is the Mission of the Church? by Kevin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert
- Let the Nations be Glad! by John Piper
- The Soul Winner by Charles Spurgeon
- Reaching and Teaching: A Call to Great Commission Obedience by M. David Sills
- The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken
Preaching and Pastoring – Having a pastor’s heart and a burden for preaching, these texts have both challenged and shaped how I think about interpreting and communicating Scripture as well as shepherding God’s flock.
- Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon by Bryan Chapell
- The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter
- Communicating for a Change by Andy Stanley
- Lectures to My Students by Charles Spurgeon
- The Pastor’s Handbook by John R. Bisagno
- Preaching and Preachers by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Apologetics – These books below have been seminal in helping me develop strong convictions and confidence in my Christian faith and a biblical worldview.
- Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions by Gregory Koukl
- The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller
- Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
- Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity by Nancy Pearcey
History – History is one of my great loves. The books below are some of my favorites.
- Evangelism in the Early Church by Michael Green
- Revolutions in Worldview: Understanding the Flow of Western Thought by Andrew W. Hoffecker, ed.
- 1776 by David McCullough
- D-Day, June 6 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II by Stephen E. Ambrose
Christian Living – The following books have impacted my Christian life and practice.
- The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Man in the Mirror by Patrick Morley
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- The Hour that Changes the World by Dick Eastman
Leadership – Leadership is required in today’s ministry setting. These books address spiritual leadership in particular and the challenge to pastors to emulate Christ-like leadership.
- Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders
- Great Leader Great Teacher by Gary Bredfeldt
- The Next Generation Leader by Andy Stanley